Quinoa is known as an ancient grain and there are over 100 types of quinoa available. You are most likely to find white quinoa, red quinoa, and black quinoa in stores and they have subtle differences. We use red quinoa in most of our recipes at Terra’s Kitchen because it holds its shape after cooking and makes a great addition to salads or bowl meals. Black quinoa retains crunch after cooking, which adds texture to any dish. Quinoa can also be purchased as flakes, which can be used as an oat substitute and as flour for baking.
Health Benefits of Quinoa
- Quinoa contains all 9 amino acids, making it a complete protein.
- Oleic acid, a heart healthy fat, is found in quinoa.
- The higher fat content found in quinoa safeguards this superfood's overall nutritional value during the cooking process.
- Quinoa is gluten-free, making it safe to enjoy for people with celiac disease or anyone following a gluten-free diet.
- Quinoa is known to include anti-inflammatory phytonutrients, flavonoids, and saponins.
- Quinoa’s high fiber content helps you feel full longer. Eating just a cup provides up to 27g of fiber.
How to Cook Quinoa
Cooking the perfect quinoa all comes down to using the proper liquid ratio to allow for full absorption. Before you get started, make sure to rinse your quinoa to remove it’s natural coating, which can cause a bitter flavor if it is not removed. The recommended ratio is a 1 to 1 ratio. You can use water or broth to give your quinoa extra flavor. Some people like to toast their quinoa in a pan with a little oil to give it a more nutty flavor, but that is optional! Next, bring your liquid and quinoa to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until all of the liquid has been absorbed. This should take about 15 to 20 minutes. Once you quinoa is done, the last step is to fluff it with a fork and you are ready to enjoy! There are tons of ways to use quinoa, here are some of our favorite quinoa recipes and ideas.
6 Ways to Use Quinoa
- Balsamic Chicken and Spinach Quinoa
- Happy Chicken Salad Bowl
- KeenWOW Bowl
- Crispy Coriander Quinoa Patties with Cucumber Salad
- Pesto Quinoa Bowls
- Garlicky Quinoa with Asparagus, Fresh Mint and Pecans
Have you tried any of these recipes? We would love to hear what you think! Share how you are using quinoa with us on social media using #ARecipeForRealLife.
Check out our full menu of meal delivery kits using pre-prepped ingredients including quinoa and other superfoods. Choose your meals each week, skip when you are busy and cancel anytime.