There are a few basic kitchen tools needed to cook everything from the simple meals in a meal delivery kit to elaborate pastries. The holiday season is a great time to help the beginner cook in your life equip their kitchen, and many of the basic tools make great stocking stuffers because they are both small and inexpensive. Here are some of our favorite kitchen tools for mixing and measuring your way to a delicious dinner.
Exact measurements are an important part of cooking -- especially baking! Our meal delivery kits come with ingredients that are pre-washed, pre-chopped and pre-measured, but you will need some basic measuring tools like measuring spoons and a measuring cup to get started. Here are our essential mixing and measuring tools:
- Pyrex Measuring Cup - This is the gold standard of measuring cups! It’s made of glass, so it can be used just about anywhere, including the microwave and dishwasher. This measuring cup can be used for both liquid ingredients and solid ingredients (like flour) but keep in mind, it’s best for amounts larger than 50 mL (2 fl oz).
- Natizo Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons - Set of 6 - These measuring spoons are ideal for measuring liquids (like olive oil) or solids (like spices) in measurements from ⅛ teaspoon up to 1 tablespoon. They are made from stainless steel with engraved measurements to ensure they last a long time.
- Anchor Hocking Glass Bowl Set 10 pieces - A set like this one has numerous uses from mise en place, to mixing, to serving. When you are done using these bowls, you can put them in the dishwasher for simple cleaning.
- ExcelSteel 242 5-Quart Stainless Steel Colander - Colanders are extremely versatile kitchen tools. They can be used for everything from washing fruits and vegetables, to draining pasta, to holding fragile produce like grapes. This one is silver stainless steel, but colanders come in all kinds of fun colors and are an easy way to add a pop of color to your kitchen counter!
Kitchen utensils and tools make great stocking stuffers. From tongs to zesters, all of these are useful in the kitchen. Even a more seasoned chef could probably use an upgrade of their old favorite spatula or spoon. Here are some of our favorites:
- Microplane - A microplane, also known as a zester, is a key piece of kitchen equipment, yet it is one that is missing even from some of the best equipped kitchens. We use a microplane constantly in our recipes to add lemon or lime zest and tons of flavor. This is a must-buy for any chef who is currently using a box grater to their zest lemons!
- Quicklids® Silicone and Stainless Steel Standard Tongs - These tongs are prettier than the old or melted ones that you are currently using. Looks aside, they are made with 100% food-grade silicone, which doesn't harbor germs and is really easy to clean.
- Cuisinart Nylon Slotted Spoon - A slotted spoon is a simple serving item that comes in lots of different colors. It’s perfect for making tacos when you need to drain the meat or for pulling smaller pieces of food like vegetables or meatballs out of broth.
- Lipper International Round Bamboo Spoon with Silicone Handle - This spoon is not only made from sustainable bamboo, but the silicone handle is heat resistant and extra grippy.
- OXO Good Grips 11-Inch Balloon Whisk - This small and narrow whisk will get the job done and boasts a comfortable grip for bigger jobs.
- ChefLand Ladle, 8-Ounce, Stainless Steel - A serious chili calls for a heavy duty ladle and this one will do the trick no matter how hearty the stew.
- Good Cook Set of 4 Silicone Spatulas with Bamboo Handles - Spatulas are most commonly associated with baking, however a set like these will also come in handy when removing anything from a blender to ensure you get the last little bit of your smoothie or sauce.
- Basting Brush, X-Chef Flex Heat Resistant Grill BBQ Brushes - Grillmasters need love too! Consider upgrading their standard grill brush with one of these colorful options made of heat-resistant silicone. They are also really easy to wash by simply popping the brush in the dishwasher.
Now that your kitchen is fully equipped, check out our full menu of quick healthy meals you can make at home.