Now that warmer weather is here, cue the island music and check out the Big Island Steak Bowl recipe - one of our new favorites.
What you'll need:
- 1 lime
- 10 ounces skirt steak
- 20 ounces pineapple spears
- 2.25 ounces sliced scallion
- 5 ounces jasmine rice
- .19 ounce (1 teaspoon) soy sauce
- .3 ounces sesame oil
- .2 ounces brown Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon crushed Red Pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Kosher or flake sea salt
What to do:
- Preheat oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside. Zest half the lime. Cut lime in half.
- Cook Rice: In a small saucepan, over high heat, bring 1¼ cups water and ¼ teaspoon salt to a boil. Stir in rice and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit, covered for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and gently stir in sesame oil, zest and juice from half a lime all but 1 tablespoon of the scallions. Cover and set aside.
- Broil Pineapple: While cooking rice, place pineapple in a single layer on a foil lined baking baking sheet and brush tops with 1 teaspoon oil. Lightly sprinkle with salt. Broil until charred in places (about 15 minutes).
- Seasoning Pineapple: Remove pineapple from oven and sprinkle with the remaining brown sugar and as much of the red pepper flake as you can handle. Set aside.
- Cook Steak: Rub a grill pan with 1 teaspoon of canola oil and place over high heat. In a small bowl, combine half the soy sauce, half the brown sugar and ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Rub mixture over steak. When grill starts to smoke, add steaks and cook to medium rare, turning once (3-4 minutes per side). Remove to a plate and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice against the grain.
Divide rice and pineapple between two bowls. Top with sliced steak. Squeeze lime juice over and garnish with remaining scallion and crushed red pepper and enjoy.
Need more go-to dinner dishes? Check out some of our favorite combinations like grilled chicken tacos and happy chicken salad.
Add this recipe to your Terra's Kitchen order this week