The second factor of Terra’s Kitchen’s complete Nutrition Score developed by Dr. Lisa Davis, PhD, PA-C, CNS is the Anti-Inflammatory Quotient (AIQ). The AIQ is comprised of the following 4 criteria that check for anti-inflammatory ingredients. Each criteria is worth 1 point:
- Criteria 1 = 1 point: The meal contains a good/excellent source of both anti-inflammatory nutrients Vitamin A and Vitamin C
- Criteria 2 = 1 point: The meal contains either omega-3 fatty acids and/or monounsaturated fat
- Criteria 3 = 1 point: The meal contains <5% of the daily value of cholesterol, <7g of saturated fat, and contains no trans fats
- Criteria 4 = 1 point: The meal contains <5 grams of sugar
For example, if a meal meets the following criteria, it would receive all 4 points:
- An excellent source of both Vitamin A and C
- Has omega-3 fatty acids and monounsaturated fats
- Contains 3% of the daily value of cholesterol, 2g of saturated fat, has no trans fats
- Contains 3g of sugar
The Real Weight-Loss Plan is full of recipes that meet all or most of these criteria. Already a part of the Plan? Tag @terraskitchen and #arecipeforreallife in your social posts!
Terra’s Kitchen’s Anti-Inflammatory Quotient based on methodologies found in this reference:
- Anti-inflammatory Foods for Health. B Rowe and L Davis. Fair Winds Press, 2008.