Father’s Day isn’t the only reason June is an important month for men. June is also Men’s Health Month which is a great time to connect with the men in your life like your dad or husband to make sure they’re doing everything they can to stay healthy! We’re excited to share some ways men in particular can protect their health by eating right all year long.
1.) Take good care of your heart.
You may pride yourself on having a big heart – but are you doing everything they can to make sure it stays healthy? Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Eat foods rich in omega-3s like walnuts, salmon, flax seed and chia seeds. This can help reduce bad cholesterol, raise good cholesterol and reduce blood pressure.
- Also consuming a diet rich in antioxidants is also important for fighting free radicals which can contribute to the development of cancer.
- Choose heart healthy fats such as those found in extra virgin olive oil, avocados, nuts, and seeds.
- Avoid trans fats that are found in packaged baked goods, margarine, and most fried foods from fast food restaurants. Watch your sodium intake to help maintain low blood pressure.
2.) Reduce your risk of diabetes.
- Avoid added sugars and refined foods whenever possible! Since refined foods are typically stripped of their fiber, they are digested much quicker with leads to spikes in blood sugar.
- Try following a plant-based diet to avoid processed foods. Our 5 week Meatless Mondays plan is an easy way to try out plant-strong recipes just one day a week.
- Drink water instead of sugary sports drinks or soda. This doesn’t have to be boring - you can try healthy homemade infused waters for added flavor and other nutritional benefits.
3.) Maintain a healthy weight.
- Eating whole and nutrient dense foods and consuming the appropriate amount of calories for your body type and activity level can help you maintain a healthy weight.
- Being overweight is a risk factor for type 2 diabetes, so maintaining a healthy weight is very important.
- Controlling the calories you consume is key to maintaining a healthy weight. Daily caloric intake differs from person to person (depends on activity level), but eating the right foods in calorie controlled meals is best way to see exactly how much you’re consuming while getting in adequate nutrition.Depending on how active you are, the suggested average calorie intake for young or middle-aged men ranges between 2400 and 3000 calories a day.
4.) Stay active!
- Exercise is important for cardiovascular health as well as for weight loss and/or weight maintenance. Maintaining a healthy weight can help decrease the likelihood of many health conditions.
- Don’t skip breakfast to ensure you get through your day without feeling tired and fatigued. Even if you’re short on time in the morning, Grab n Go snacks and sides on our menu make for a quick fix.
5.) Avoid stress.
- The key to good health through achieving all of the above is a good diet! By cooking at home, you know exactly what ingredients are going into each meal. Using a meal delivery service lets you skip shopping for ingredients, washing, measuring, and chopping; you can start cooking right away.
- Spending more time with the people you care about is a great way to reduce stress levels. By saving on the time you spend cooking or shopping for groceries, you create more time in your life for some quality family moments.
To learn more about how a meal delivery service like Terra's Kitchen can make healthy eating more convenient, click below.