Chickpeas have so many nutrients, vitamins and helpful supplements your body needs to stay healthy. Also called garbanzo beans, chickpeas can help with digestion problems, blood pressure, heart health and inflammation. Here’s what you’ll gain from ¼ cup of this superfood:
- 8.8 g. Fiber (32% daily value)
- 9.6 g. Protein (16%)
- Iron (16%)
- Vitamin B-6 (20%)
Now that you know how great chickpeas can make you feel, how can you cook with them?
Here’s a few ideas to get you started.
- Add them to any salad! Chickpeas taste great on a kale salad or a Caesar salad. Traditionally cultivated in the Mediterranean and Middle East, they are a tasty addition to any Greek, Indian, Spanish or Italian spread.
- Finish your chili with chickpea croutons. Every chili needs a good crunch to complete the dish, and you’ll get some extra protein.
- Blend your own hummus. Get those creative juices flowing and fashion your favorite flavors and combinations. Making homemade hummus personalizes any meal or snack, turning it from a boring meal to a fancy occasion. Pour your desired amount of chickpeas in your food processor or blender and pulse until smooth. Add olive oil and your choice of spices and you’ve created a protein-filled snack or meal!
- Prepare the Terra Buddha Bowl or Vegan Power Bowl for a sweet or savory meal. These bowls are full of protein, fiber and vitamins and taste delicious. Each includes chickpeas as part of the meal.
- Cook them with curry! Chickpeas pair naturally with curry flavoring. Try Terra’s Kitchen Curried Chickpea Spinach Bowl and have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes.
- We didn’t forget dessert. Try peanut butter hummus brownies to satisfy your sweet tooth. One brownie is only 191 calories, plus you’ll be getting lots of fiber and protein!
Chickpeas are a perfect addition to a vegetarian’s diet to get the protein they need without eating meat. But if you do eat meat, pair your next seared lamb or baked chicken with a side of chickpeas. For easy additions, always have a can or fresh jar of chickpeas in your home. TK can send you some, too! Check our full menu below to find all the options.