Posted by Terra's Kitchen on Tue, Sep 15, '15
Beet recipes and beets in all forms are the new super food kid on the block, and can be purchased and enjoyed in many forms at your local supermarket. There are beet juices, prepared roasted beets, cooked beets marinated in vinegar, pickled beets, fresh beets that you can roast, boil, broil, or eat raw either shaved or grated and pureed in a smoothie.
Beets are sweet but have a delicious earthiness making them a very versatile ingredient. Beets can be added to not only savory dishes but paired with chocolate in dessert, layered in yogurt with sweetened granola, or made into a sorbet with some aged balsamic. Not to mention they have a gorgeous ruby red color.
The superfood side is that research suggests that beets significantly lower blood pressure, improve cardiovascular health and reduce inflammation in the body. Its red crimson color is a sign that it is chock full of antioxidants such as naturally occurring nitrates, betaine and iron. It is beneficial to eat them in any form however when the juice is raw pressed they are more nutrient rich and concentrated.
8 Ways to Eat Beets
1) Grate them raw in a salad
2) Use pickled beets as a topped for sandwiches
3) Puree roasted beets with chickpeas, tahini, lemon and garlic for a gorgeous beet hummus
4) Make a beet soup with fresh beets and their greens and swirl in some Greek yogurt
5) Grate beets and make a slaw with grated carrots, shaved fennel with a touch of lime juice and honey
6) Add beet juice to smoothies, and yogurt
7) Make a beet vinaigrette with beet juice, balsamic and some extra virgin olive oil
Or, how about using them to make the most decadent brownie you’ve ever eaten...with only half the guilt! Check out our healthy dessert recipe where the main ingredient is, you guessed it, beets!
8) Dark Chocolate Beet Brownies
Time to Table: 40 minutes
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature plus more for buttering baking dish
- 6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 6 oz. cooked peeled whole beets from an 8.8 oz. package (about 2 medium beets), chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. fine salt
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter an 8x8-inch baking dish and line the bottom with parchment paper (remember to butter the top of the parchment too).
Melt butter with chocolate in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is smooth.
Remove bowl from heat and whisk in sugars. Whisk in eggs one at a time until each is thoroughly incorporated. Stir in beets, vanilla and salt. Add flour and stir until just combined.
Pour batter into prepared baking dish and bake in middle of oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until just set. Let cool on a rack. Cut into 9 squares. Enjoy!
Craving another healthy dessert? Check out our recipe for Lavender Marshmallow S'mores!