Terra’s Kitchen just launched two new tofu recipes, our Ultimate Vegetable-Tofu Tacos and Crispy Sesame Tofu and Bok Choy Stir Fry. Why tofu? Let us tell you about this beloved nutritional powerhouse.
Origination of Tofu
Similar to how dairy cheese it made, tofu is made by curdling fresh soy milk and then pressing it into a solid block. The liquid is then discarded. Tofu originated in China and can be cooked in many different ways using a variety spices and sauces.
Tofu is a great source of protein, especially for vegetarians, and contains all eight amino acids. Amino acids build muscle and strength and are essential for growth, recovery and maintenance. Cook up a serving of tofu after you hit the gym!
Benefit of Tofu
- Tofu is high in isoflavones, which reduce vessel inflammation and improve elasticity, which reduces the risk of heart disease.
- Tofu reduces the risk of some cancers, including breast cancer, cancers of the digestive system and prostate cancer.
- Isoflavones in tofu has positive effects on blood sugar control, which can reduce the risk of diabetes.
- Isoflavones can reduce hot flashes, tempering menopause symptoms.
How to Cook Tofu
- Draining the water out of the package and press the water out in a clean towel. You may want to place a heavy pot on top to help remove water.
- Chop the tofu in cubes, thin slices, triangles or whatever shape you prefer!
- Marinate with a your favorite sauce or spices. Leave the tofu in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- You can eat your tofu raw or cook it for a crispier variety. Pop it in the oven or pan fry it.
Be the first to try Terra’s Kitchen tofu meals! Find new and creative ways to cook with tofu and great pairings. Check out our full menu to get your tofu meals now.