Not to be confused with the Japanese Pocket Monster, and you don’t have to chase it. Terra’s Kitchen meal delivery service recently launched Seared Tuna Poke Bowls and they’re available on our meal delivery service menu!
First, let’s get the pronunciation right: Nope, not like hokey-pokey. “POH-keh.”
What started as a staple meal in Hawaiian homes (and roadside food stands) has become a culinary trend of Pokémon proportions.
In Hawaiian, Poke means “to slice or cut” and refers to chunks of raw, marinated fish — usually tuna — tossed over rice and topped with vegetables and umami-packed sauces combining flavors that are at once sweet, sour, salty and bitter.
Today in Hawaii, you can find variations on poke bowls at every grocery store- slathered in mayonnaise, gently tossed in sesame oil and chili paste and some that have stretched so far to include chicken or tofu.
There is no right or wrong way to poke!
How to make a poke bowl
- Rice: Start with a base layer of jasmine or brown rice. Or opt for low-carb options like zucchini noodles or kelp salad.
- Fish: Raw, sushi-grade yellowfin (ahi) tuna is the traditional protein. Raw salmon and snapper are also great additions. If raw fish isn’t your thing, you can sear the tuna on the grill or pan but do not overcook! Ahi should be bright red and rare in the middle, while salmon is best served medium-rare. (adding citrus to your dressing will cook your fish for you!) You could also try tofu or crab.
- Seasonings: The cubes of fish are mixed with scallions, sesame seeds and sea salt.
- Dressing: Umami is the fifth basic taste (identified by the Japanese) and is the key flavor in these salty sauces made with soy sauce, shoyu, ponzu or spicy black-bean paste. Combine with sesame oil, rice vinegar, a dash of sugar and a fresh lemon juice.
- Vegetables: Pile them on! We love avocado, seaweed and fried onion for added crunch.
- Hot sauce: Wasabi, Sriracha, red chili flakes...get as spicy as you like!
Try Terra’s Kitchen’s Poke Bowl in your next meal kit order! Click below to view our whole meal delivery menu and to get started.