It seems like everyone is going gluten-free, but does it offer all the benefits that everyone believes it does? Originally, a gluten-free diet was designed for people with Celiac disease who cannot digest gluten, but some studies show that it may have benefits for others. (As always, consult your doctor before starting.) If you’re interested in exploring a gluten-free diet, consider the following:
Benefits of Gluten-Free:
- Many processed foods contain gluten, so by eliminating them, you also cut out some unhealthy processed foods
- By eating less gluten, you are likely to consume more antioxidant-rich foods, which can help ward off viruses and germs
- Some foods on a gluten-free diet promote healthy weight loss. (Make sure you are eating well-balanced meals!)
What you can eat:
- Grains. Corn, rice, quinoa, flax, soy, nuts, beans and coconut
- Dairy. Milk, cheese, butter, yogurt, ice cream
- Produce. All vegetables and fruits!
- Protein. Meat, seafood, legumes, nuts
What you have to avoid:
- Wheat. Read labels closely!
- Barley and malt
- Many processed foods. Check labels on cereal, bread, crackers, cakes, cookies, pretzels, pasta, and pizza crust
An easy way to make sure you’re eating gluten-free is by using a meal delivery service like Terra’s Kitchen. Use the gluten-free filter to view all our gluten-free meals!