Tired of the treadmill? Is it time to step off the Stairmaster? We don’t blame you. It’s hard enough to stick with an exercise regimen, but it’s nearly impossible when you’re bored out of your sneakers. We have a few ideas on how to spice up your workout this new year. Check out our favorite exercise trends:
- Barre. When you were little, did you ever dream about being a ballerina? Barre classes make us feel like our dreams are coming true! This workout is typically an hour long with low body impact. You will work all the major muscles in your body with floor exercises, small weights, and stretches at an actual ballet barre. With studios popping up all over and gyms offering classes, Barre is extremely accessible for everyone. Even if you’re grace level is more like a clumsy duck than a silvery swan, it’s no problem. Barre is for all levels of fitness from novice to Nutcracker. Sorry, Baryshnikov not included.
- CorePower Yoga. Do you love the mindfulness and spirituality of yoga but wish you could up the intensity? Step it up a notch with CorePower! You’ll be challenged to more difficult poses, sure, but the class is very intuitive. Sweat through fun songs as your breath, body, and mind become one.
- Muay Thai Kickboxing. You know when we mentioned not getting bored during your workout? Trust us, you will NOT be bored with this one. Commonly used within the Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) community, Muay Thai Kickboxing engages your whole body, not just your legs. Often referred to as the “art of 8 limbs,” it teaches punches, kicks, elbows, and knees. Not only will you walk out feeling like you’ve gotten the workout of a lifetime, you’ll also feel like a UFC fighter.
- FlyWheel. It’s like spin class for the tech inclined. You’ll spend 45 minutes cycling intensely (3 minutes with weights). While your heart is racing, you can keep track of your progress with the screens attached to your bike. After your class, check the FlyWheel app to track how many calories you’ve burned the distance you cycled and how you ranked among the class.
- Groove. We love a good dance workout class. It burns calories and gets us in shape without feeling like we’re working out at all. (Plus, the moves we learn definitely come in handy when we’re out on a Saturday night!) However, following along with an instructor and the rest of the class definitely isn’t for those of us born with two left feet. That’s why we’re loving Groove. It’s a dance class that incorporates powerful music with simple, yet effective moves. Students are encouraged to follow the beat with their own moves. Groove classes can be hard to find, but there are DVDs to follow along with at home!
Don’t forget to track your workout progress on apps like MyFitnessPal and Digifit iCardio. Which workout trends are you exited to try this year? Tag your pics on social with #arecipeforreallife and share your workouts in our Facebook group!