Your digestive tract is your core, meaning that good health or bad health is often correlated with what is going on in your gut.
Why do I need a healthy gut?
- Optimal digestion and absorption of nutrients
- Regulates the digestive system
- Keeps food and bacteria inside the digestive tract
- Helps to balances the immune system
What happens if my gut isn’t healthy?
You may suffer from things like heartburn or Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD), where stomach acid comes into contact with the esophagus, or dysbiosis, which occurs when bad bacteria overtakes good bacteria.
Okay, how can I heal my gut with food?
- Have a square of 70% dark chocolate, like two of our favorites, Videri or Salazon, for an antioxidant boost
- Maintain a healthy body weight by following a clean, plant-based diet focused on nutrient-dense foods
- Include anti-inflammatory herbs, spices and supplements
- Incorporate beneficial gut bacteria by eating yogurt or taking probiotics
- Limit refined sugar
- Eat healthy fats like some oils and avocado
- Avoid overcooking or charring foods on the grill
- Drink up to one glass of red wine a day (for women) and up to two (for men)
Terra’s Kitchen can provide your family with gut-healthy ingredients through our minimal prep meals that are ready in 15-30 minutes. Check out our full menu of meals, snacks, salads and smoothies!