There is nothing worse than sitting down at the table for family dinner after a long day and realizing that the conversation is falling flat. Sure, you ask your kids about their day at school and you might get more than a one-word response. Your daily recap is probably ignored by your kids, and then… silence.
Let's face it - when you have the same conversation every single day, it isn't much fun. That doesn't mean you should think of mealtime as just another chore by sitting silently and giving up. With good food at the table, this is an opportunity for genuine connection and is not an experience to rush through. Enjoy the experience and get kids talking with some table talk!
If you aren’t sure where to start, that’s okay. Table talk isn’t just about getting updates about school or homework or telling your kids to put away their devices or fidget spinners at the table. It's never too late to reinvent your family’s dinner tradition. The whole point of table talk is to learn something new and open up a door to interesting topics outside of the usual dinner table check ins.
Here are some of our favorite table talk questions to ask your family to keep the conversation rolling - and to add a dose of laughter to the dinner table. You're definitely going to want to know what your kids think of these questions:
- If you had to eat the same meal every day for a whole year, what would you choose?
- If our family was offered a reality TV show, would you want to do it? What would it be called?
- In you were in a food fight, what food would you wish to have with you?
- Which do you find worse - the dentist or homework?
- Would you rather swim with dolphins or go cage diving with sharks?
- If you could repaint our whole house with only one color, what color would you choose?
- If you were an item of food, what would you be and why?
- If you had to start a funny new family tradition, what would it be?
Now that the conversation is started, keep it flowing with follow-up questions. You never know what you are going to learn about your family! These questions aren’t just for kids, either; they will bring the kid out in anyone.
Family friendly meals also make mealtime more pleasant because you won’t be fending off questions like, “Ew, what is this?” Terra’s Kitchen recently introduced a new line of family-sized meals with recipes like Cheeseburger Pizza that kids are sure to love. Each meal kit recipe serves 4 and thanks to pre-prepped ingredients, meals can be on the table in under 30 minutes.