You probably remember seeing bison on the menu at your local gourmet burger joint or as a high-end steak, but here is your chance to try it out in your own kitchen. Like our other proteins, our bison is all-natural and humanely treated with no hormones or antibiotics.
Bison have been integral to the diets and culture of tribal people in America. Recently named by President Obama as our national mammal, these animals primarily eat grasses, weeds and leafy plants, foraging for up to 11 hours a day. They are typically raised in a more open environment compared to cattle to allow for the constant grazing that this species requires.
Bison is one of the leanest meats and still has a lot of protein without the saturated fat that is found in regular beef. Dr. M. Marchello at North Dakota State University has found that the meat is a highly nutrient-dense food because of the proportion of protein, fat, mineral, and fatty acids to its caloric value. Bison is also a great source of iron, which is especially great for women and anyone who suffers from an iron deficiency.
Our One Skillet Bison Tacos are a great way to try Bison in your home kitchen, and can be made in only 25 minutes. Of course, the name gives away the best part - this meal will only dirty a skillet, a mixing bowl, and a few utensils. With fewer dishes to do, this meal is a #RecipeForRealLife!
Here is how to get cooking:
- Prep the Toppings: In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream and half of the salsa. Set aside. Chop the cilantro.
- Start the meat mix: In a medium skillet over medium-low heat, add ½ teaspoon olive oil and the garlic. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the ground buffalo, ONLY ½ teaspoon chili powder (See Pro Tip for using the remainder in a fun dessert), ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook, breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon, until meat is cooked through.
- Finish Meat Mixture: Stir black beans and remaining salsa into the mixture. Allow to cook for 1 minute. Lower heat to low and stir in cheese. Cover.
- Char the tortillas: Please don’t skip this step! The extra char flavor will be a taco life changer. Place tortillas on hot grill or over a gas until char marks appear on both sides.
- Serve: Divide meat between the tortillas and top each with the salsa sour cream and cilantro.
If you are looking for a beer to enjoy with this meal, try an amber. The malt forwardness and earthy tones will bring out the best in the Bison.
To enjoy this meal without the prep, add it to your next vessel. Head over to our menu to start cooking.