Kids can be some of the toughest customers when it comes to dinner. From busy schedules to picky eaters, there are plenty of challenges associated with cooking for a crowd, but making family dinner happen doesn’t have to feel like running the gauntlet.
One of the reasons we started Terra’s Kitchen was to make it easier for families to cook healthy homemade meals more often. We believe eating together should be fun, not just another task to check off your list, which is why we developed new family-friendly recipes that are designed to feed at least four people. Here are our favorite hacks for making family dinner delicious and stress-free for everyone at the table.1. Plan ahead. Ordering prepped ingredients from a meal delivery service like Terra’s Kitchen will change your life! Prepped ingredients are one thing, but slow-cooker recipes are one of our favorite hacks of all time. Let our Pork Carnitas Burrito Bowls simmer in your slow-cooker while you’re away doing whatever’s on your schedule during the day and come home to a healthy recipe that is basically ready. Move over, Chipotle!
2. Pick something they know. Chicken is almost always a hit with kids. Why? Because they know what it is. Familiar flavors are ideal when you’re trying to get everyone excited about what’s for dinner. Our new Barbecued Chicken with Summer Tomato-Corn Salad is perfect for al fresco dining in the twilight hours.
3. Be sly when adding fruits + veggies. You don’t want to advertise, “This meal is healthy!” We promise, that almost never works with kids. Instead, think about sneaking in a few fruits and veggies among the things your kids already love, like tacos! The Chipotle Chicken and Mango Tacos are perfect for Taco Tuesday and are an excellent source of fiber, protein and vitamin C. This meal is also gluten-free, which is great for families with allergies.
4. Forgo forks and knives. Not only does this hack cut down on the number of dishes that need to be washed after dinner, but there’s something about eating with your hands that is just plain fun. Tacos are an obvious choice when it comes to fork-free dining, but there are plenty of other options to choose from! Pick up your dinner -- and we definitely don’t mean takeout -- with our Lebanese Meatball Wraps this week! Serve them deconstructed and let everyone make their own wrap tableside.
5. Two words: Bacon. Gravy. If you want to branch out and serve your family something new, consider topping it with something nobody can say “no” to: bacon or gravy … or both! Trust us, they’re going to love our Italian Shrimp with Tomato-Bacon Gravy and Creamy Polenta, even if they don’t know what polenta is.
6. When all else fails … pizza. Hear us out on this one! Making these Cheeseburger Pizzas only takes 30 minutes and kids can safely help thanks to pre-chopped ingredients. What’s even better is that they’re under 600 calories per serving, and this recipe doesn’t skimp on tasty ingredients like Cheddar cheese and ground beef.
Discover how easy family meals can be with Terra’s Kitchen. These stress-free family meals are designed to feed 4, and only take 30 minutes from start to table. Serving a larger crowd? You can add even more servings using our a la carte menu of sides and proteins. With TK, you’re never locked into a specific plan, so you can order exactly what you need each week and skip weeks when you’re just too busy. As long as you meet our delivery minimum of $72, that’s it! Get started with our family meal kits today.