The exact path to health is different for every person, however, holding yourself accountable for your daily choices will improve your overall well being. Consistency is a key element in a healthy lifestyle, but it can be a challenge to make the right choices in every category, from healthy food to making time for exercise. Here are 8 simple ways you can support healthy choices and set yourself up for success every day.
- Set Goals. In almost everything in life, you will have a better outcome if you set a concrete and achievable goal. If you want to go to the gym three times a week, write it down and schedule a workout appointment. Don’t cancel on yourself! It can also help to sign up for an event like a weight-loss challenge or a race to help you stay accountable to your goals.
- Plan Ahead. One of the easiest ways to get off track, especially with healthy eating, is a surprise. Anything unexpected like cupcakes at your office or staying late at work can tempt you into making an unhealthy choice simply because it is easier. You can avoid these types of temptations by planning meals ahead. Pack snacks and schedule a meal delivery service for healthy homemade dinners. Taking care of nutrition ahead of time will help to ensure you have what you need to make healthy meals at home and that you have the right snacks to carry you through the day.
- Know Your Stuff. This one can be a little time consuming, but it is worth it! Especially when it comes to the food you put in your body, don’t just assume something labeled “light” is healthy! Read the labels and know what is in your food. If you aim to eat as many whole foods as possible, you can’t go wrong. We suggest eating a diet that is balanced, plant-strong™, and features heart-healthy fats.
- Choose the Right Ingredients. There is no one diet or exercise regimen that is perfect for everyone, but one ingredient that we all need is water! Drink water throughout the day, and make sure you are getting at least eight 8oz glasses. You should also consult your doctor or nutritionist to help determine the right diet for your body. Knowing what works for your body (and what doesn’t) is key in choosing the right ingredients.
- Live an Active Lifestyle. Making time for exercise will not only make your body healthier, but it will make you happier, too. Decide what works best for your personality and your schedule and stick to it. Some people like biking to work, others have a favorite yoga flow, and others get plenty of exercise chasing their young children. It doesn’t matter what you choose, just make sure you are doing something active every day.
- Minimize Stress. This is an area that is often overlooked, but it is so important! Remember that it is okay to say no and to simplify your life. If there are things you can automate to take something off your plate, do it! Make sure you are getting enough sleep and take a few moments to think about what you are grateful for. Starting a gratitude practice can help to shift the focus from your stressors to the great things in your life.
- Remove Temptation. If you have healthy food in your fridge, you will eat healthy food. It really is that simple! Order dinners in advance so you don’t fall into the temptation of convenience and end up with something processed, high in calories or full of sodium. Think about snacks too and try to have things like fruit or hummus and veggies on hand for those times when you need a boost.
- Build Your Community. Surround yourself with people who prioritize health and can support you on your journey to wellness. It is always more fun when you have a gym buddy or someone to invite over for the healthy dinner you can’t wait to try out. Find your tribe and cheer each other on!
Trying a meal delivery service like Terra’s Kitchen will help you to plan ahead and stock your fridge with the right ingredients for healthy homemade dinners and Grab n’ Go snacks. Click to learn more about how it works, and see how a meal delivery kit fits into your lifestyle.