We love working with @grapefriend to put together wine pairings for each of our meals because she believes that learning about wine should be as much fun as drinking it … and drinking it is pretty fun.
Usually we start with the food and choose the perfect wine to accompany the flavors of the meal, but what if wine came first? It probably should at least sometimes, right? There is nothing wrong with choosing what to eat based on what you want to drink. Working backward, here are 6 wines and a meal suggestion to pair with each. Choose your wine to reveal your meal. Cheers!
1. Pinot Grigio - The light apple and mild acid in a Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio will let the dash of spice in the Oven-fried Chicken + Lemon Rainbow Slaw shine through. Not to mention the fact that it will go perfectly with the colorful slaw.
2. Syrah Based Rosé - A juicy wine like this calls for an equally succulent meal, which is why we recommend pairing with the Crispy Salmon + Watermelon Salsa. Not only does the color match perfectly, but the flavor will be amazing with the watermelon and balance the piquant cilantro.
3. Pinot Noir Based Rosé - So many rosés, so little time! This one still goes great with salmon (pinot noirs are especially great with salmon), but we recommend something a spicier like the Sugar and Spice Salmon, Avocado Mash + Black Beans.
4. Sauvignon Blanc - This wine is “blanc,” so it makes sense to pair with a colorful food. The grapefruit and citrus fruits in Sauvignon blanc are fantastic for the pineapple on the Vegetarian Rainbow Kababs. Try a wine from New Zealand if you want a more tropical fruity flavor.
5. Viognier - Viognier grapes are grown in many vineyards in the Eastern United States, so many you picked up a bottle or two while at a wine tasting. The floral and white peach notes of a Viognier are excellent with warm spices like the cumin in the Vegan Power Bowl.
6. Malbec - For red wine lovers, here is an option. Try the Kale Corn Succotash over Cheesy Chicken with a fruity Malbec. It goes great with the dark, leafy kale.
Save your time for sipping and leave the prep to us. Add any of these meals to your vessel this week and pour yourself a glass. You earned it!