Recipe by Libbie Summers
While roasted pumpkin seeds are probably best known for their role as a Halloween treat, pumpkin seeds can be enjoyed throughout the year. Today we were inspired by pepitas, your carving pumpkin’s little green cousin. These raw, shelled pumpkin seeds are an excellent source of zinc, protein and healthy fats. In this recipe, they come together with smokey bacon and our whole wheat pasta to create a flavorful pesto that can be used year round.
Pumpkin Seed Pesto and Bacon Pasta - Serves 2
Time to Table: 20 minutes
Large Pot for Cooking Pasta
Large sauté pan
Cheese Grater or Microplane
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
Coarse Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
4 ounces chopped bacon
½ cup pepitas (raw pumpkin seeds)
¾ cup chopped cilantro
1 garlic clove
8 ounces whole wheat pasta
2 ounces Parmesan
What To Do:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- In a large sauté pan over medium high heat, add the bacon and cook until just slightly crisp. Remove the bacon to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Remove all but 1 tablespoon of renderings from the pan and set aside (you will use again).
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the pepitas, ½ cup cilantro, garlic and olive oil. Process until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook until al dente (about 2-3 minutes). Remove 1 cup of the pasta water and set aside. Drain pasta.
- Cut lemon in half (save the other half to freshen your garbage disposal, rub on your finger nails to brighten or add a little zing to a glass of water).
- Place sauté pan with renderings back over low heat. Add the pesto, hot pasta water and juice from ½ lemon. Stir until combined making a nice sauce. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the hot pasta and reserved bacon. Toss to coat. Grate ½ of cheese over and toss again.
- TO SERVE: Divide pasta between bowls and garnish with remaining cilantro leaves. Grate remaining cheese over.
Need whole wheat penne or bacon for this recipe? You can add either of these items to your next vessel! Click below to find out if we deliver to your area.