Recipe by Terra's Kitchen Creative Culinary Director Libbie Summers
Photography by Chia Chong
Coconut and curry is a classic flavor combination in Thai cooking. Especially in colder months, you won’t regret having a recipe for this soup waiting for the perfect cold day. Full of flavor, this meal will not only warm you up, but if you use the suggested plating of a coconut shell, it just might transport you somewhere tropical too.
Shrimp Coconut Curry Soup - Serves 4
Medium stock pot
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium onion diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon red curry paste
1 teaspoon brown sugar
4 cups vegetable stock
2-inches fresh ginger root, peeled and cut into chunks
2-inches lemongrass, smashed
1 jalapeno, sliced plus more for garnish
1/2 cup cilantro leaves plus more for garnish
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk
3/4 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
2 mushrooms, sliced
Juice of 1 lime
What to do:
- In a medium stock pot over medium heat, add the oil and onions. Cook stirring until onions are translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the garlic, cumin, curry paste and sugar. Cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in stock, ginger root, lemongrass, peppercorns, jalapeno, cilantro and fish sauce. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, strain (discarding the solids) and return the strained broth to the pot over medium heat. Stir in coconut milk, shrimp, mushrooms and lime juice. Cook until the shrimp is completely cooked through (about 5 minutes).
- Serve immediately garnished with cilantro and jalapeno slices if desired.
For fresh meals that are prepped and ready to go, check out our full menu and try a healthy meal delivery kit this week.